Wednesday 5 March 2014

(Almost!) Healthy Banana and Chocolate Cookies


Hello everyone!

This isn't the usual style/beauty post, but a little baking one instead! I saw a lovely easy recipe for chocolate banana cookies that I attempted (being the definitive word!) on the lovely Pippa O' Connor Ormonds instagram account recently and wanted to share it with you!

These are a wonderful alternative to chocolate bars and other (delicious but fatty) treats and are so simple to make when the dreaded sweet cravings surface! The beauty of these is that everyone can put their own spin on them. You can add chocolate/raisins or whatever of your favourite treats or alternatively leave them plainer, the choice is all yours! Pictured above is my very own version!

Recipe (for approx 9 small squares):

3 mashed banana's (*ripe)
1 tsp stevia/xylitol/sweetener
1/3 cup apple sauce (or small sized cooking apple)
2 cups oats
1/4 cup almond/soya milk
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 bar Aero/Wispa/Dairymilk (the list is endless!!)

Materials required:

Cooking pot, two plastic bowls, microwavable bowl, wooden spoon, knife, baking tray, grease proof paper, oven

Method:

  • I made my own apple sauce by chopping a small sized cooking apple into very thin slices into a cooking pot. I put a small amount of water and xylitol in it and placed at a medium/high heat. I slowly boiled it until the apple mixture was mushy and took off heat and placed on worktop to cool
  • I then chopped and mashed the banana's with a potato masher in a plastic bowl and poured in the hot (be careful!) stewed apple mixture. I mixed these and then added the soya milk, oats, vanilla extract and cinnamon and mixed it thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
  • I preheated my oven to 180 Celsius/350 Fahrenheit 
  • I got my baking tray and cut enough grease proof paper to fit over it. I then scooped the mixture into the baking tray and evened out with a wooden spoon. I baked for 15/20 minutes or until hard/browned (check with a knife if mixture comes off loosely then leave for a little longer)
  • I took this out using a tea towel and put to one side to cool. I then added half a bar of Aero chocolate to a microwavable bowl and microwaved until melted.
  • I poured the melted chocolate onto the top and placed in the fridge. When the chocolate had hardened I cut into smaller squares.


This recipe is purely trial and error and they honestly didn't turn out great the first time I made them but that's the beauty of baking treats: perfecting a recipe to your own satisfaction! I hope ye enjoy these cookies and I would LOVE to know if ye have any healthy alternatives similar to this!

Noir
X



*It is key to have ripe banana's for the mixture to combine properly

No comments:

Post a Comment